DoomRL

Post Saturday, 12th October 2013, 14:51

DoomRL

I get the feeling quite a few of you already know about this game, but here goes...

DoomRL is a Rouge-Like game developed by Kornel Kisielewicz and developed in the language freepascal (which is surprising, since pascal isn't typically a widely used language other than for teaching); and obviously is set within the DOOM universe.

DoomRL plays much like other ASCII roguelikes, being turn-based, having charcter levels & classes (character levels in Doom, what insanity is this :shock:), tonnes of weapons and... well you get the picture. Unlike most other rogue-likes however, being successful at DoomRL is more skill-based than luck, if you know how to exploit the enemy AI and know some good tactics, such as corner-shooting. It is a pretty fast-paced rouge-like, being designed around trying to be a coffee-break rouge-like; however that doesn't mean it isn't deep, it is actually quite deep for being a rouge-like based off of Doom :P.

I know, my description about the game sucked, but if you like faster paced rogue-likes, DoomRL might be a nice pick.

And here's some screenshots, both ASCII and the recent tile-graphics, of DoomRL (not my screenshots of course :P):
... darn it can't grab them off the official site, oh well I'll just post the link. http://doom.chaosforge.org/screenshots

And of course here's the link to the game itself: http://doom.chaosforge.org/

Note: If you work out how to pick up the Dragonslayer, DON'T TELL US! I want to work it out for myself, and for the others... well let's just say giving them the means to wield the most powerful weapon in the game (should they find it) might not be a good idea, or fair >.<.
"Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, The World Ends with You.

Site Admin

Post Sunday, 13th October 2013, 10:29

Re: DoomRL

Oh nice, it has graphic tiles included now? Last time I checked it was a bit difficult to install them.

But I'll probably switch to console output anyways - just much easier to see things ;-)

Post Sunday, 13th October 2013, 14:06

Re: DoomRL

Napkin wrote:Oh nice, it has graphic tiles included now? Last time I checked it was a bit difficult to install them.

But I'll probably switch to console output anyways - just much easier to see things ;-)

Yeah, much has changed to DoomRL... perhaps too much. In-fact, with the recent addition of classes in 0.9.9.4, I find that your character is a lot less flexible now (some skills, especially the 3rd-tier skills, E.G. FireAngel, are limited to certain classes) and it somewhat complicates the game a bit more. I thinking with all the recent additions, that it's almost worthwhile just to go back to 0.9.9.1 to have a much simpler game.

Then again that might be nostalgia talking, and yeah I agree that the graphical tiles, while nice and make recognizing certain things more easily, does get in the way a bit.

Spoiler: Also, I think JD is no longer the final boss (in the recent versions) :/; instead it's the spider mastermind.
"Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, The World Ends with You.

Return to Dungeon Crawlers