New server

Ideas - Criticism - Suggestions - Complaints

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 18:27

New server

Hi buddies,

This morning I had some nostalgia and I wanted to start Tremulous again to see how the game was now.
As you should know most servers are now down and I joined the only server with people connected and POC|Ronin was there.
That's funny how some players never stopped playing this game even though the game was dying.
We talked a bit and he told be that the only active remaining servers were locating in the USA and european players have a terrible ping (I personnaly had between 150~200 on this serv).

Well, I have the possibility of creating a new server, located in Paris, France with a very good ping for europeans residents. But before I would do that, I would like to have your opinion about these three points :

1) Do you think a such server could be useful (for instance, is there any chance to see you around, even rarely, even just to say hello to old mates) ?
2) Is the Wrath Newbie Server's QWM still available somewhere ? From what I remember I tried a lot of QVM and WNS's one and Teapot's one were the best I could tried so far, and I know that we worked of some code fixes before the server closes and it would be great if the later versions could be available.
3) In case of a new server would be setup, what do you think of calling it "Wrath Server Reborn" or something like that, in memory of WNS (and Alien's Wrath) ?

I also read that some of you tried Unvanquished, I've not tried it myself but I'll do that soon ; if many (some) of you are interested in creating a server for this game, I may take part in that !

loutre

Post Saturday, 2nd January 2016, 15:46

Re: New server

Hi,
1) I think that there aren't sufficient new people to create open a new server, but, if we update some thing in tremulous, like a good unofficial tremulous website with backport and easy setup programm and maps [...], it's possible to get a good result. Additionnaly, I think that this mod have bots ?
2) I think that the source code that you want is here: https://github.com/Milean/newbieserver (I come today on the forum from it)
3) I suggest [darkred]Wrath Server[/darkred] [red]Reborn[/red] , but I don't remeber of this server, I start to play at ~2008 or 2009 (I am 16yo)

Are you on linux ?

-------
To inform, I am French

Post Saturday, 2nd January 2016, 20:05

1) I'm not sure about that.
Most active players go on GrangerPub, but it's an american server and european players have a terrible ping on it.
I tried setting up a server (it took me a bit a time because i am no longer used setup trem servers, and tjw, lakitu7 websites are down) yesterday, it ran for a couple of hours and like a dozen of players went on it.
What's funny is that the some players have joined the server less than one minute after it has been started and played a game like any other serv.
I think if players spontaneously goes to a server, we can quickly get a regular commnunity.

There was a time, Tremulous was suggested in synaptic or whatever package manager with Ubuntu, and this brought an important number of players. Today nothing really brings NEW players (however I was surprised to see there are still a few number of new players), and it could be great to catch NEW players.
But I don't think creating a fork is a good idea. There are already A LOT of trem's fork or "remakes" that are imo all worse than trem. Moreover, players who are attached to original tremulous (including me :roll: ) will never move to another game.
What makes the force of tremulous is the game engine (that's why I hate all attempts of clone with game engines supposed to be more realistic).

What could really change things would be probably to work on the OFFICIAL tremulous website and distribution :
- Creating a new website (with a design that is non 10-years old)
- Updating client with at least something that supports GUID natively, default config setup for HD display ...
- Maybe (ok I'm crazy :twisted: ) organize an "official" e-sport event on tremulous, so that esport / VG sites may talk about
- Easier way to setup server, but not too easy to prevent noob n*rds from creating dozens of useless "Tremulous 1.1.0 Server" :D

This might look like completely silly but there are esports events for many and more games, and I'm convinced that something like that for tremulous, which is a game with a strong history in the opensource commnunity could be a success.
Still this would imply a few developments like something to record games, anticheat and also defining "competitive" rules.

And I'm pretty sure if it works once, that would bring back some old clans and regrowth the community ...

Concerning bots ... well, they're bots, they're funny :mrgreen: They eventually can be used for newbie training but the AI is very limited, I think it's better like that.

2) Milean's repository is unfortunately not up to date, last chances weren't commited to his rep.
But, that's not the problem since the code is hosted here : http://git.develz.org/?p=tremulous.git;a=summary ;)
I still need to re-compile the QVM and I'm a bit lazy to setup a "dev" environment under windows to do that ... :roll:

3) The Newbie Server was quite active in 2008 - 2009. I start playing during these years too.
I think I am right if I say that WNS were among the most popular and a huge amount of players (including me) had their first game on WNS (and many of us played 99% of the time on this server).

Yes I'm using linux, but I used Mingw on windows to compiler QVMs (from what I remember it was the most convenient way to do it)

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 02:35

Hi Loutre!

AFAIK most players still use 1.1 client, so many servers (e.g. mentioned grangerpub) use some 'tweaks' and they are visible to both client versions. Unfortunately, even when they were few interesting EU servers (just few months ago) people have chosen this US one (wonder why?). I'm not sure if new EU server have chance.

Post Monday, 8th February 2016, 17:53

Oh, so this is what I miss when I don't have email notifications :P.

There are still quite a lot of us out here Loutre that are disillusioned with other multiplayer FPS games (yes, including the Tremulous forks; starting to look more like Natural Selection clones aren't they? >_<). And also subsequently disillusioned with some of the communities for these afformentioned multiplayer FPS games. So with that in mind a revival of Wraths (in a way) would be lovely. I do however agree that getting in newbies would be rather difficult though, given Tremulous' rather well-known status as a (more or less) dead project.

As for why a US server would be more popular than a EU server, not sure. Might be a similar problem to how most obscure games can barely get any attention over here in Aus; just plain ol' people (blindly) following the trends with videogames nowadays.

Buom_01 wrote: Additionnaly, I think that this mod have bots ?

As far as I could recall from observation, the "Robocookies" were just slightly modified versions of Amine's Trembots; slightly modified insofar as making sure that the Human bot would always swap to their blaster and use that instead of their rifle. Otherwise just as dumb as always :P.
"Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, The World Ends with You.

Post Sunday, 20th March 2016, 16:20

wooo im alive too! :D
What do you mean, "*They* cut the power"? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!

Post Friday, 8th April 2016, 01:56

I'm still here too! Where's the new server??? I was looking for an excuse to reinstall Trem.
Ham Sammich

Post Sunday, 8th May 2016, 16:58

I'm alive~

Sweety

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 14:53

Wow, that topic made my day. :D

I would like to know, which Tremoulus, the old good one? I would be up for it, if only I could make it work in debian...

And the most important: I think we still have everything, I mean the whole Newbie Server as well as Wrath's, they should just need to be turned on. Napkin stopped doing it, because the servers were empty all the time... But I doubt he removed them, he never does so... I'll ask him in the evening!

Greetings to all not-dead-you-guys :D

Site Admin

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 22:03

Ping! Let's doodle a date for starting it? ;-)

Sweety

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 22:22

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2016, 13:51

I am still alive.
++Milean: logically...
++Milean: if you become better at trem, your chances with the ladies improve
++Milean: you know... because you know how to handle your gun

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 11:02

Also alive. Unfortunately I've still been stuck with mobile broadband for over a year now, so I'm not entirely certain if I'd be able to play on the server. They are starting to roll out NBN on our street, but as of current it's just glorified ADSL2+ with all the downsides (shockingly my 4G is actually faster than NBN, what a surprise >_>); despite being on fibre, which also means it includes rather high monthly costs.

In either case, it would be nice to see the server back up and being one of the few Tremulous 1.1 servers to still be alive.
"Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, The World Ends with You.

Return to Open Forum